Concealed Handgun Permit Information for North Carolina
If you make a donation to the North Carolina Sheriffs' Association (NCSA) through your county firearm permit application, NCSA provides you with up-to-date information on gun laws and firearms purchasing laws that affect you as a North Carolina citizen.
Did you know?
- Since 2011 North Carolina recognizes valid concealed handgun permits issued from any of the forty-nine (49) other states in the country. Anyone carrying a concealed firearm in North Carolina based on a valid permit from another state must still follow North Carolina law related to where and how it is lawful to conceal a handgun in North Carolina.
- Every year, the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office is required by statute to make a written inquiry to each state asking:
- Whether a North Carolina resident may lawfully carry a concealed handgun in their state based on a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit; and
- Whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based on a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit.
- The North Carolina Attorney General’s Office posts a list on their website of states where a North Carolina concealed handgun permit holder may lawfully carry a concealed handgun based on the responses to the statutorily required inquiry. The list below is currently posted on the North Carolina Attorney General’s website and includes thirty-five (35) states where a North Carolina concealed handgun permit holder may lawfully carry a concealed handgun with a valid North Carolina permit.
You may find this list at the following link along with a telephone number for the Attorney General’s Office if you have additional questions regarding this recognition of North Carolina firearm permits from other states.https://ncdoj.gov/law-enforcement-training/law-enforcement-liason/concealed-weapon-reciprocity/
- As a responsible North Carolina concealed handgun permit holder, it is your responsibility to know and follow the law of the state you are visiting as it relates to concealed carry of a handgun.